A. Lange & Söhne watches is a trademark of premier German watchmaking company Lange Uhren GmbH. Its watches rank among the finest in the world and sell in the same general price range as watches made by such top-tier Swiss firms as Patek Philippe and Vacheron Constantin.
Lange was founded in 1845 by Ferdinand Adolph Lange in the little town of Glashütte, near Dresden in the state of Saxony. In 1948, the post-war Soviet administration expropriated the company's property, and the Lange brand ceased to exist. But in 1990, after the collapse of the East German communist government, Adolph Lange's great-grandson, Walter Lange, restored the company with help from a family of Swiss watch manufacturers including IWC. Now A. Lange & Söhne (litt. A. Lange & Sons), like IWC, belongs to the Richemont group of companies.
All Lange watches are mechanical rather than quartz-driven, and, with the exception of a few special edition watches, all Lange cases are made of precious metals (gold or platinum) rather than steel. All Lange movements are developed, made, and assembled in-house. Lange is also a pioneer in watchmaking technology. For example, it developed a rare "double split chronograph" that enables a wearer to time two events for up to 30 minutes. The company also developed an innovative fusee winding system used in certain models.